On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 02:32:11PM +0000, Dave Shield wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 08:47 -0500, Jean-Sebastien Morisset wrote:
>> This morning I found automountd down on a few servers, so I'm looking at
>> the "procfix" feature in snmpd.conf. The details on it's use are a
>> little sketchy. For example, is a trap sent for the failure, or is the
>> "fix" applied first. Is a trap sent after the fix command?
>
> Neither.
> "proc" and "procfix" don't actually trigger traps at all.
> At least not on their own - that's the realm of the (newer)
> "monitor" directive.
>
> The basic use of "proc" is to set a flag when it detects an
> error.  It's up to an external management application to poll
> the agent to spot such error flags.
>
> The basic use of "procfix" is to run a command when it is
> explicitly told to do so (by some external management app).
> This command will *not* be run automatically (at least not
> on its own), or trigger a trap - either before or after
> being run.
>

> One possibility with the 5.3 release is to have the DisMan
> Event MIB trigger a suitable SET request (instead of sending
> a trap), that *will* execute the command automatically.
>
> This would look something as follows (untested!):
>
>     setEvent jimllFixIt  prErrFix = 1
>     monitor -S -r 128 -e jimllFixIt "procTable" prErrorFlag != 0
>

> This functionality is only available with the 5.3 release.
> The previous Event MIB implementation did not support set
> events, just notifications.

Dave,

Excellent - thank you very much for your continued replies. I don't know
where you find the time, but it's very much appreciated.

In your example, would that mean a trap would never be sent, even if the
"procfix" command failed? Is there a way to run the procfix and then
generate a trap if the proc is still missing afterwards (checking the
procfix exit code may not be reliable -- procfix may run ok but not
restore the process)?

Thanks,
js.
--
Jean-Sebastien Morisset, Sr. UNIX Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Personal Home Page <http://jsmoriss.mvlan.net/>