Hi,

> Krishna Vivek Vitta via Net-snmp-users
> <net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
>> Intitially, snmpwalk succeeds for 10-12 mins, but later it fails with
>> Authentication failure which is puzzling. We are clueless on how to
>> proceed ahead.
>
> Can you see if it works using snmpwalk and not just zabbix?

I'm not observing this discussion from beginning, but it looks similar
to setup and issue I touched some time ago.

We had multiple devices cloned from same OS image. They were configured
with snmp v3.
When we started to monitor them with zabbix, some of them were
successfully monitored continuously, some just short time, some never.

After long troubleshooting we found that all devices were using same
engineid (it was part of OS image) and even they used different IP
addresses, zabbix somehow mixed them during querying.
When zabbix (any snmp3 agent) would like to start communication, it must
send msgAuthoritativeEngineBoots and msgAuthoritativeEngineTime. It must
match values from past communication with the device (see specification).
As consequence of mixing devices, zabbix was randomly sending incorrect
msgAuthoritativeEngineBoots and msgAuthoritativeEngineTime to a device.
If they were correct, device answered, if they were incorrect, device
didn't answered and session timeout.
The issue was observed only with zabbix. snmpget/walk/... were OK. We
found that snmptools starts each communication from the scratch, but
zabbix tries to cache last values and key for cache is just engineid,
not ip+engineid.
The solution was to remove engineid on each device and restart snmpd. It
generated new engineid (I noticed you already did it).

Even my description might not match your situation, I propose to capture
packets between the device and zabbix and verify/compare successful and
unsuccessful try.
In my case I was not able to find difference by eyes. I exported every
packet from Wireshark as decoded text file and compared it by diff and I
found difference in values described above.
BTW you can enter your keys to Wireshark and it will decode whole
session and allows you to view it.

                                        Best regards,

                                                        Jirka Novak