geez guys, i (randomly) noticed that you're discussing my games!
sorry i didn't notice it before!

to answer sort of briefly
yes we originally sold The Graveyard strictly from our own website and
it sold okay. i mean, the selling was originally a pretty conceptual
exercise.
Michael made an (also somewhat conceptual) "post-mortem" of the
project where he talks about how we made the game but also sales
figures and a host of other issues:
http://tale-of-tales.com/blog/the-graveyard-post-mortem/

suffice it to say that on Steam, The Graveyard sells _better. Still
not a lot but more than one would have thought. Thing is there are A
LOT of people on the Steam network (something like 20 million) While
the highest percentage is Counter-Strike players and such, there are
also large pockets of people looking to do something else. The indie-
games category is getting more and more popular and man people want to
support this method of game production because they WANT there to be a
wider variety of games out there. The Path is doing well enough that
we feel it is a viable way to distribute our work from now on, if they
will continue to have us. I could go deeper into our motivation for
choosing to distribute our artworks this way... if it is of interest
to you.

On Steam and in general, among gamers, all our projects seem to be
extremely polarizing. We get love letters and death threats.
literally. its frightening sometimes how seriously some gamers take
their hobby. and how threatened they can feel by a game about an old
woman or a game with 6 little girls.

We are trying to push buttons though. Just happy that Steam and other
online distribution channels are happy to play along with us.

We are _right_now_ at the Independent Games Festval in san
franscisco ...i am writing this from moscone center....
there are a lot of people who say The Graveyard shouldn't be nominated
for an award.... that its not a game... that we are evil for making
it....
luckily there are also many who think otherwise... itz interesting
times!
but either way we are still outsiders
even in a genre full of outsiders.

with love,
Auriea.

[ToT] http://tale-of-tales.com
The PATH, out NOW: http://grandmothers-house.net
play for free: http://tale-of-tales.com/TheEndlessForest
nominated for the 2009 IGF Innovation award:
http://tale-of-tales.com/TheGraveyard