hi all,

MY NAME:
Sarah Cook

INSPIRED BY
Sara Diamond, Susan Kennard and the many great ladies of the Banff
New Media Institute (you all know who you are!) - http://
www.banffcentre.ca/bnmi
For organising and producing amazing future-forecasting
interdisciplinary rigourously researched events and exhibitions in
the field of new media, commissioning artists, building labs and
platforms and generally encouraging an atmosphere of knowledge-
sharing. I've met some of the most important people in my career from
my time spent at Banff working for and with Sara and Susan; I owe
much to them both, and they know it ;-)

Kathy Rae Huffman - http://www.faces-l.net/en/user/10
For opening her filofax to me within minutes of our first meeting, at
my first visit to Ars Electronica, giving me names and phone numbers
and subsequently introducing me to artists and cultural producers.
Until that point every curator I had met was quite closed about their
research and their social network and Kathy completely obliterated
that museum-influenced impression that curating was about gate-
keeping. She continues to inspire me by her very honest, ethical and
straightforward working method, for not playing the power games so
prevalent in the art world, for the early work she did for women in
new media in the 1990s, for undertaking one of the first postgraduate
courses in curating (actually Exhibition Design and later Museum
Studies) and being (and I was also on my MA curating course) one of
the few who wanted to work with media artists.

Alison Craighead - http://www.thomson-craighead.net
For her (collaborative) art work, for being an absolute delight to
work with, for helping me question and refine my commitment to new
media, to art, to installation, to gallery-museum based practice, to
collections, to archives, and to the web. (And together with Jon for
teaching me about whisky, how to handle relationship breakups, how to
be nice to strangers, how to shop online, how to be a minimalist, how
to live and eat well, and where to get the best British change purses
and German unctions).

Marina Hyde - http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/marinahyde
For writing so smartly, sardonically, and delightfully about three of
my favourite things to read about in the paper/online: politics,
sport, and celebrity. On days I wish I were a journalist or blogger
rather than a curator (which are many), contributing in an immediate
and wide-ranging way to debates which can change minds about popular
culture and media, I wish I could be like her.