Yesterday I went to Space for the presentation of Simon Blackmore end
of Permaculture residency. Although the presentation was a bit
unprepared and unstructured we got to see some of his work. One
project he showed I found quite interesting was the Sound Lathe by the
Owl Project (of which Simon is a member).

"Sound Lathe is a new piece of work by the Owl Project that explores
of the sonic properties of woodwork.The Sound Lathe produces audio
data, saw dust, noise and wood chippings. With this human powered
machine, turned spindles are shaped into complex sounds such as tones,
glitches and beats.."

It is interesting because it combines a very physical procedure with
the production of electronic music. Contrary to what often happens
with experimental electronic music gigs where the musician sits in
front of his screen and the audience tries to guess whether he is
actually doing anything or playing a tune from VLC, in this case the
musician performs. The performance required an important physical
effort and it involves also the modeling of wood. I found this
intersection quite inspiring.

There is a more information at their website, including videos and
documentation:

http://www.owlproject.com/

--
Olga