From: Simon Biggs <s.bi...@eca.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [NetBehaviour] Most students use Wikipedia, avoid telling profs
about it.
To: "NetBehaviour for networked distributed creativity"
<netbehaviour@netbehaviour.org>
Date: Friday, 19 March, 2010, 11:52

Re: [NetBehaviour] Most students use Wikipedia, avoid telling profs about it.

Tom is totally right. However, whilst a good proportion of Wikipedia will be
authored by academics they will not use it as a reference. The same is true of
the encyclopaedias, many of which are authored and/or edited by the top experts
in the field. However, as the author’s identity is left anonymous these are not
considered verifiable sources.

It is no big deal for the student to find a useful reference. Most Wikipedia
entries cite sources. Many of these sources are accessible on line, through
Google books, Project Gutenberg or Amazon. If not then there are these places
called libraries...

Best

Simon

Simon Biggs

s.bi...@eca.ac.uk  si...@littlepig.org.uk  Skype: simonbiggsuk
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/

Research Professor  edinburgh college of art  http://www.eca.ac.uk/

Creative Interdisciplinary Research into CoLlaborative Environments
http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/

Electronic Literature as a Model of Creativity and Innovation in Practice
http://www.elmcip.net/