i agree that this current crisis has been coming for a long time; many
things have contributed to it, & events probably could have played out
in various different ways, but the combination of environmental and
political factors have been leading towards this for a long time. i
agree with alan that ISIS, or something similar, was always going to emerge.

i'm happy that at least in germany (where i live as a privileged migrant
who chooses to be here & who can go back home whenever i want) there
seems to be the political will to help. 800,000 people is a lot for any
country to absorb in a short space of time, but let's not forget that
countries such as jordan and turkey already have millions of refugees
and much less resources to support them.

i don't know what the solution(s) might be, i don't think there is a
short-term answer. it must be possible to do more to resolve the
situation in syria, but i don't believe that more war is the answer & i
know that the problem isn't just syria; it's a whole chain of problems &
we are all implicated in it in one way or another.

but in the meantime, the least we can do is provide shelter & support to
people who have had to flee their homes; & i'm glad that most people in
germany want to do this.

h x

On 31/08/15 6:46 32AM, Alan Sondheim wrote:

> Perhaps the difference is that I think ISIS would have emerged in
> spite of everything; if you look at the relationship between climate
> change and that area of the world, you find it running out of water,
> food, combined w/ population increase; all of this plays a major role
> there. The migrants are fleeing ISIS but they're also fleeing
> starvation; it's also important to recognize of course that Wahhabism
> plays a major role here, and its predates the "big responsibility" you
> describe.
>
> Pandora's box, I think, would have been opened in any case.
>
> And in any case, the issue, _now_ is - what is to be done - and
> Johannes points out the incredible difficulty here; if Uruguay has 65
> emigrants (I thinkyou mentioned that, not sure?), that doesn't touch
> on the problem at all.
>
> Suggestions anyone?
>
> Thanks, Ana, for the discussion!
>
> On Sun, 30 Aug 2015, Ana Valdes wrote:
>
>> Alan you misread me. I said for the poor youngsters recruited from
>> the poorest and ignorant ISIS is a revenge against everything who
>> they feels has been stolen from them. I have some Muslim friends in
>> Sweden who have lost their sons and daughters to ISIS, they felt
>> never accepted in Sweden, ISIS lure them with belonging. people are
>> not only fleeing ISIS, they are fleeing Assad bombings of his own ppl
>> too. And the Afgans are fleeing both their government and the
>> Talibans. And U.S. and England has a big responsibility on it. When
>> they toppled Saddam and Ghadaffi they opened the box of Pandora. From
>> the box came out ISIS and many others. Ana
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Aug 30, 2015, at 11:06 PM, Alan Sondheim <sondh...@panix.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> I have a very different view of all of this, especially ISIS, which
>>> you seem to be excusing. So I assume that you think the refugees
>>> fleeing ISIS somehow are also giving up on dignity? Or you think
>>> that dignity comes with heads on a fence? I can't discuss this any
>>> more; I hesitated to post in the first place. You might also say
>>> that U.S. racism thrives in poverty and ignorance, that the right
>>> agrees with you that there are bad leaders and foreign colonizers
>>> (from the rest of the Americas), the right then stands for dignity
>>> and stubbonness? And there's a HUGE difference between India and the
>>> killing and fleeing of hundreds of thousands in the mid-East and
>>> Africa. A HUGE difference which you are apparently blind to.
>>>
>>> Apologies for my anger.
>>>
>>> Alan

>>> ==
>>> email archive http://sondheim.rupamsunyata.org/
>>> web http://www.alansondheim.org / cell 718-813-3285
>>> music: http://www.espdisk.com/alansondheim/
>>> current text http://www.alansondheim.org/ti.txt
>>> ==
>>

> ==
> email archive http://sondheim.rupamsunyata.org/
> web http://www.alansondheim.org / cell 718-813-3285
> music: http://www.espdisk.com/alansondheim/
> [...]

helen varley jamieson
he...@creative-catalyst.com <mailto:he...@creative-catalyst.com>
http://www.creative-catalyst.com
http://www.upstage.org.nz

/We have a situation!/ Rio de Janeiro, 7 November 2015
<http://www.wehaveasituation.net/?page_id=1222>