Alan, it is so interesting to talk about the depth of discussion in the context
of a text-based environment. Perhaps you are right, but it reminds me of the
MOO user environments in the early 90s, when people were having this same
argument about virtual reality: that text-based multi-user environments were
far more compelling, rich and nuanced than the highly rendered, immersive ones.
This argument still continues.

On the other hand, you can’t just say absolutely that adding "bells and
whistles" won’t work, because something new will inevitably come along, it’s
just a matter of time. I doubt in 25 years that future generations will be
using the same text-based tools as we are today for online discussion, in fact
most aren’t even today.

That said, I am interested in depth too. While I agree that the conversation
here is a great opportunity to converse with a community distributed across the
world, I am also very restless, always curious, always trying to discover new
ways to communicate, create new work, explore the possibilities of a changing
technological world. That’s really at the heart of my work.  In the 1990s, I
created performance works with laserdisc players, cd-roms, samplers,
synthesizers, and other media and technologies I wouldn’t use today.

So it’s always been an adventure of discovery. I am sure all of us are
constantly experimenting with new ideas, strategies, and technologies in our
work.  It is in this spirit of experimentation that I would want to explore how
virtual communities and discourse can take new form.