Hi Gretta & all,

I was thinking about your comments regarding ‘Home/land/culture/folklore’,
and was reminded of much of my own past activities regarding street art,
pirate radio and pirate television in Bristol, in the late 80s and early
90s.

What I found special when working in pirate radio was we were part of a
grass rooted, and diverse community; collectively peer promoting our varied
creative voices and identities, on shared terms. In fact, many were
involved in producing some of the content as well as offering their own
homes as venues for these many pirate broadcasts.

I think what seems to be missing from the conversation around Brexit is:
whether people can now manage to reclaim their own personal, social and
cultural narratives and identities; in ways that can be robust in the face
of whatever government is voted in, as well as other everyday pressures
that are usually imposed on the psyche via media and corporations?

Wishing you well.

marc

On 5 July 2016 at 10:01, Gretta Louw <gretta.elise.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Definitely agree, Ruth. The other thing I was discussing with Katriona
> Beales last night over Skype, as a result of the last few weeks for me of
> the exhibition, being with the Warnayaka artists in London and here in
> Munich, and lots of talking, was about the notion of home and what it
> means. We (mostly left wing, revolutionary etc artists) tend to cringe at
> words like tradition and folk culture etc, but Jampijinpa has swayed me a
> lot and I have seen that there is a way to be attached to home (a deep
> notion of this) that is about land, old culture, folklore and folk culture,
> tradition etc that is not bound to the right wing/reactionary politics and
> ugly nationalism that we usually associate with those things.
> Home/land/culture/folklore - these can all be things that anchor and ground
> us without making us close off to change, people and ideas from other
> places, technology, and social progression. The way that the Warlpiri
> matter of factly appropriate digital technologies for their own cultural
> aims is exemplary of this.
> In these times of right wing and nationalistic hype, it seems that this
> goal - of defining an accepting, strong, solid, meaningful notion of home
> (that is rooted not in fickle political values or trends, but in the land
> itself), that allows ppl to feel secure enough to welcome others on their
> own terms (as the first nations peoples in Australia, for example, are
> often quoted as saying about asylum seekers today) - this is a goal that is
> extremely significant.
>
> g.
>
> p.s. Ruth, this is what the article I sent you is trying to get at. I’m
> not sure if it’s clear yet...
>

> On 05 Jul 2016, at 10:45, helen varley jamieson <
> he...@creative-catalyst.com> wrote:
>
> yes, it is bigger than just the EU. for example, at the beginning of the
> article ruth shared, it says " During membership of the EU the division
> between rich and poor [in the UK] has increased, with the poorest suffering
> a fall in living standards." but this isn't because of the EU - the same
> thing has happened during the same time period around the world outside of
> the EU, such as in new zealand. it would have happened in the UK even if
> they'd never been part of the EU. so it's interesting to read this
> interpretation of the referendum vote as a rejection of rampant neoliberal
> capitalism by both sides.
>
> i'm curious about the assertion that the EU was a CIA initiative (the
> footnotes for the article are not on the web page). it doesn't really
> surprise me (is there anything left in the world that the CIA hasn't had
> its fingers in???) but i would like to know more about this.
>
> i'm looking forward to chatting about it all with ruth next week :)
>
> h : )
>
> On 3/07/16 11:52 41AM, Joseph Young wrote:
>
> Thanks for starting this important thread...
>
> The key to this is changing the narrative and placing the blame for the
> [...]

Marc Garrett
Co-Founder, Co-Director and main editor of Furtherfield.

Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network
http://www.furtherfield.org - for art, technology and social change since
1996

Furtherfield Gallery & Commons,
Finsbury Park, London N4 2NQ