> On Jun 7, 2021, at 7:50 PM, Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> On 6/7/21 9:26 AM, Neil C Smith wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 at 14:24, Jiří Kovalský <jiri.koval...@oracle.com> wrote:
>>>  From that point of view it makes more sense to concentrate the testing
>>> effort around LTS version with known NetCAT start/end dates, form a
>>> dedicated team of volunteers with free capacity, certify the whole
>>> product and release it. Thanks to that we can advertise LTS as something
>>> extra given the focused NetCAT community testing.
>>>
>>>     If we would ask the same contributors to test the same stuff every 3
>>> months and make it an ongoing process, I think the outcome would be lower.
>> Totally agree.  If we have future LTS.  I guess my comments were more
>> based on where NetCAT might evolve if LTS is dropped.  Of course, an
>> annual NetCAT process might still be valid without an LTS?  But it
>> does feel that the decision on whether to continue with LTS, and how
>> it works, heavily influences what NetCAT might look like in future.
>
> NetCAT was much less structured in the early days; just people choosing an
> area of interest and pounding on it. Later, we had test specifications, but
> there was really no one to keep them up to date and write new ones. I think
> the level of detail drove potential testers away as well.
>
> Maybe NetCAT needs to be re-thought as something less formal. I think the
> important thing about attracting testers is just for them to know that the
> people working on the code will look into NetCAT-submitted issues more
> closely, as they are coming from dedicated users. Maybe a triage system where
> NetCATters try to reproduce each other's bugs?
>
> With a less structured testing program, it would be a lot easier to say "Hey,
> we're getting ready for a new release! Please let's have some testing
> volunteers to make sure nothing's broken!" Of course, you'd still want to try
> and balance the number of people testing each area, and have some form of
> recognition for the people who filed good bug reports (on the web site
> release page? on social media?). And those NetBeans t-shirts were so very
> cool...
>
> https://www.lyonlabs.org/temp/netcat-shirt.png
>
> --
> Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)
> "After the vintage season came the aftermath -- and Cenbe.”

I agree with this.   I participated more in NetCat more when I wasn’t forced to
join a specific group and complete a formal test plan. (…and I have the t-shirt
to prove it ;-) )
It helps when I can’t be sure of how much time I will be able to allocate to
NetCat as well.

A forum where the collaboration can be a bit more ad hoc, with participants
raising issues and others confirming the reproducibility, simply following some
general guidelines and a rough idea of areas to focus on - that’s really all I
would need.

Regards,

Scott