On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:57:10 +0100
Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Stephen Hemminger schrieb:
> > You might try adjusting the interrupt coalescing parameters with
> >     ethtool -C eth0 ...
> > But I can't give you hard guidelines as to what would make it better.
> >
> > I have a debug patch, but it needs work still.
>
> I don't care whether that debug patch will freeze the box or perform
> other random funnies. All the debugging printks I added to the driver
> did not trigger and I'd try anything. So yes, I'm desparate.
>
> Does the sk98lin driver have any code for such problems?

There are several differences that the sk98lin driver has.
* It programs some parts of the chip differently. But most
  of those are wrong. I started copying it, but where it was wrong
  I didn't copy the mistakes.
* Sk98lin does NAPI wrong. It has interrupts disabled and runs
  packets through soft irq twice.
* Sk98lin does it's own buggy rx checksum validation.
* Sk98lin does not do VLAN
* Sk98lin programs PCI-Ex for 2K transfers, but that causes data
  corruption

The one that probably is saving you with sk98lin, is it has a watchdog
routine that tries to work around all the possible driver hangs.
I prefer to find an fix these hangs, because a watchdog routine like that
just masks the problem and introduces a bunch of SMP race conditions which
the sk98lin author either didn't see or ignored.

--
Stephen Hemminger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
OSDL http://developer.osdl.org/~shemminger