Stephen Hemminger schrieb:
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:57:10 +0100
> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>Stephen Hemminger schrieb:
>>
>>>You might try adjusting the interrupt coalescing parameters with
>>>     ethtool -C eth0 ...
>>>But I can't give you hard guidelines as to what would make it better.
>>>
>>>I have a debug patch, but it needs work still.
>>
>>I don't care whether that debug patch will freeze the box or perform
>>other random funnies. All the debugging printks I added to the driver
>>did not trigger and I'd try anything. So yes, I'm desparate.
>>
>>Does the sk98lin driver have any code for such problems?
>

> There are several differences that the sk98lin driver has.
> * It programs some parts of the chip differently. But most
>   of those are wrong. I started copying it, but where it was wrong
>   I didn't copy the mistakes.
> * Sk98lin does NAPI wrong. It has interrupts disabled and runs
>   packets through soft irq twice.
> * Sk98lin does it's own buggy rx checksum validation.
> * Sk98lin does not do VLAN
> * Sk98lin programs PCI-Ex for 2K transfers, but that causes data
>   corruption
>
> The one that probably is saving you with sk98lin, is it has a watchdog
> routine that tries to work around all the possible driver hangs.
> I prefer to find an fix these hangs, because a watchdog routine like that
> just masks the problem and introduces a bunch of SMP race conditions which
> the sk98lin author either didn't see or ignored.

Oh. Now that is news to me. Glad I didn't have a SMP machine with the old
driver.

There is a bug in ethtool support in sky2. Namely, rx-frames{,-irq}=64 is
wrapped to zero. And rx-usecs-irq is 20 no matter what I set it to.

# ethtool -C bridgeint0 rx-frames 64 rx-frames-irq 64 rx-usecs 1 rx-usecs-irq 1
tx-usecs 1 tx-frames 64
# ethtool -c bridgeint0
Coalesce parameters for bridgeint0:
Adaptive RX: off  TX: off