On Tue 22 Oct 2019 at 21:17, Roman Mashak <m...@mojatatu.com> wrote:
> Vlad Buslov <vla...@mellanox.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue 22 Oct 2019 at 17:35, Marcelo Ricardo Leitner <mleit...@redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes!
>>>
>>> I wonder how this can play together with conntrack offloading.  With
>>> it the sw datapath will be more used, as a conntrack entry can only be
>>> offloaded after the handshake.  That said, the host can have to
>>> process quite some handshakes in sw datapath.  Seems OvS can then just
>>> not set this flag in act_ct (and others for this rule), and such cases
>>> will be able to leverage the percpu stats.  Right?
>>
>> The flag is set per each actions instance so client can chose not to use
>> the flag in case-by-case basis. Conntrack use case requires further
>> investigation since I'm not entirely convinced that handling first few
>> packets in sw (before connection reaches established state and is
>> offloaded) warrants having percpu counter.
>
> Hi Vlad,
>
> Did you consider using TCA_ROOT_FLAGS instead of adding another
> per-action 32-bit flag?

Hi Roman,

I considered it, but didn't find good way to implement my change with
TCA_ROOT_FLAGS. I needed some flags to be per-action for following
reasons:

1. Not all actions support the flag (only implemented for hw offloaded
   actions).

2. TCA_ROOT_FLAGS is act API specific and I need this to work when
   actions are created when actions are created with filters through cls
   API. I guess I could have changed tcf_action_init_1() to require
   having TCA_ROOT_FLAGS before actions attribute and then pass obtained
   value to act_ops->init() as additional argument, but it sounds more
   complex and ugly.

Regards,
Vlad