Hi Vlad,

On 2019-10-22 10:17 a.m., Vlad Buslov wrote:
Currently, significant fraction of CPU time during TC filter allocation
is spent in percpu allocator. Moreover, percpu allocator is protected
with single global mutex which negates any potential to improve its
performance by means of recent developments in TC filter update API that
removed rtnl lock for some Qdiscs and classifiers. In order to
significantly improve filter update rate and reduce memory usage we
would like to allow users to skip percpu counters allocation for
specific action if they don't expect high traffic rate hitting the
action, which is a reasonable expectation for hardware-offloaded setup.
In that case any potential gains to software fast-path performance
gained by usage of percpu-allocated counters compared to regular integer
counters protected by spinlock are not important, but amount of
additional CPU and memory consumed by them is significant.

Great to see this becoming low hanging on the fruit tree
after your improvements.
Note: had a discussion a few years back with Eric D.(on Cc)
when i was trying to improve action dumping; what you are seeing
was very visible when doing a large batch creation of actions.
At the time i was thinking of amortizing the cost of that mutex
in a batch action create i.e you ask the per cpu allocator
to alloc a batch of the stats instead of singular.

I understand your use case being different since it is for h/w
offload. If you have time can you test with batching many actions
and seeing the before/after improvement?

Note: even for h/w offload it makes sense to first create the actions
then bind to filters (in my world thats what we end up doing).
If we can improve the first phase it is a win for both s/w and hw use
cases.

Question:
Given TCA_ACT_FLAGS_FAST_INIT is common to all actions would it make
sense to use Could you have used a TLV in the namespace of TCA_ACT_MAX
(outer TLV)? You will have to pass a param to ->init().

cheers,
jamal