On 12/4/18 11:57 AM, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 11:50:46AM +0100, Arturo Borrero Gonzalez wrote:

>>> Also,
>>>
>>> please consider applying the attached patch.
>>>

>> ping :-)
>
> Phil suggested no rename of the trees, I can update the description in
> git.netfilter.org to place LEGACY there. Concern as you mentioned is
> that it may break existing links/scripts. Not sure git support
> redirections from old repo URI to new one...

Most people use these tools from distributions and if using directly
from git.netfilter.org they won't have problems finding a new URL. If
manually downloading tarball from netfilter.org, even less problem.
Distro packagers would have to refresh the upstream URL, sure, but
that's really a minor thing compared to the big -legacy -nft movement,
which requires a lot of other renaming and adjustments anyway.

My suggestion of the rename of the .git repo is because I already
detected several confused people who don't understand the relationship
between arptables-legacy, arptables-nft and the .git repos they are
served from (and same for ebtables).

Also, worth considering that having the repo clearly stating -legacy in
the name will help raise awareness of the -nft version, which could
serve as another motivation to encourage migration.

I don't even have a strong opinion on this :-) it was just a proposal bc
I see several benefits.

> I think it's fine to apply a patch to add the "-legacy" postfix as we
> do in iptables.
>
> Are you OK with this approach?

I would apply the -legacy renaming patch regardless. We already did this
with arptables after the agreement @ NFWS. In fact, me sending the patch
now (instead of last summer) is just my lack of time to write it earlier :-)

Also, once the patch is applied, we should consider a release of both
arptables and ebtables now that iptables contains the -nft variant and
is being used in the wild.