Above `null` was just a suggested name for a new type.  In JavaScript
terms, perhaps `undefined` is better.

The BS issues is as you note very real.  The workarounds I have come up
with are tiresome and fraught.

I do not see a way that this can be fully addressed without changing the
default initialization.  In my view, initializing to 0 became a serious
design flaw as soon as BS became available.

For my purposes, initializing to `nobody` (or even a special string, say
"netlogo:undefined") would be much better than initializing to 0, since I
have never wanted to set a value to `nobody` in an experiment.  But it has
the potential to create the same problem for someone some day.  So I really
do not see any way to fix this without some new type for `undefined` values.

Thanks for considering,
Alan