There is no good workaround.  The developers have not suggested a
workaround. This is a widely recognized problem. I personally do not see
how it will be adequately addressed unless initialization of non-interface
globals is changed.  I would love to hear how the developers are thinking
about this problem, which poses very real problems for serious NetLogo
users.

My recommendation would be to plan a transition.  Immediately, introduce a
new keyword for the declarations section, allowing specification of the
default value for non-interface globals. (E.g., `__global-default`.)
Ideally, this would immediately be supported by the introduction of a new
value (e.g., `undefined`).  Users who want this functionality now would be
able to include the declaration

    __global-default undefined

In a future version, this would become the default behavior.

I plead that the developers take this design flaw seriously and that it not
be passed on to Tortoise!

Alan