On October 27, 2017 3:44:39 AM Martin Bjorklund <m...@tail-f.com> wrote:

Robert Wilton <rwil...@cisco.com> wrote:

On 26/10/2017 17:50, t.petch wrote:
> Lou
>
> I like the advice that diagrams should be one page long but wonder how
> to apply that to those I see in routing WGs.  I have just been looking
> at
>
>   draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-topo-12
>
> where the diagram is 36 pages long - which may be one of the larger
> ones
> but by no means exceptional - and I think the diagram is  more or less
> useless as a result.  But what practical advice can we give them?
36 pages!  Wow.  It should be split up into smaller chunks, at that
size I suspect that there is a certain amount of repetition.

Right.  I think we need to think about *why* we include these tree
diagrams in the first place, so that it doesn't just become a checkbox
item for draft authors.  The original idea behind including the tree
diagrams was to give the reader an *overview* of the structure of the
model.   If the tree becomes too large, it obviously doesn't help
anymore.  So what do you do in this case?  I think there are a couple
of things you can do:

  o split the diagram into smaller pieces, and explain each piece on
    its own (see e.g. RFC 7317).

  o make use of "..." to show the overall structure w/o all the
    details.  (pyang --tree-depth might help here)

  o introduce the option of not expanding groupings, as was proposed
    earlier.

I'd rather see a small diagram that explains the structure, but
leaves out the details (they are of course found the module), than a
36-page long figure that can't really be read.

I completely agree, but also think we need to cover (okay, protect ourselves from) the case of full trees included in drafts.

Lou