----- Original Message -----
From: "Mahesh Jethanandani" <mjethanand...@gmail.com>
To: "t.petch" <ie...@btconnect.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 6:35 PM

> On Oct 26, 2017, at 9:50 AM, t.petch <ie...@btconnect.com> wrote:
>
> Lou
>
> I like the advice that diagrams should be one page long but wonder how
> to apply that to those I see in routing WGs.  I have just been looking
> at
>
> draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-topo-12
>
> where the diagram is 36 pages long - which may be one of the larger
ones
> but by no means exceptional - and I think the diagram is  more or less
> useless as a result.  But what practical advice can we give them?

How about using the depth of the —tree-depth option to generate smaller
trees that may not give the whole tree, but at least give you a nice
overview? Follow that with smaller chunks using the —tree-path for each
section of the tree.

<tp>

Yes!  That is what I do manually when I really really want to understand
and refer to a module - but it is time consuming and tedious.

I look to have a top level of less than a page and lower levels which
may be bigger.

I think that this also interacts with groupings.  If a tree diagram with
groupings expanded is 6 pages and one without the expansion is 2 pages
plus one for the grouping, then I would prefer the latter.  YMMV but I
think that there is a guideline in there somewhere.

Tom Petch

> I append the diagram below
>
> Tom Petch
>

> start of diagram
<snip>.

>            +--ro altitude?    int64
>            +--ro latitude?    geographic-coordinate-degree
>            +--ro longitude?   geographic-coordinate-degree

> end of diagram

Mahesh Jethanandani
mjethanand...@gmail.com