On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 8:13 AM, Ladislav Lhotka <lho...@nic.cz> wrote:

> On Fri, 2018-04-27 at 16:47 +0200, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 04:34:38PM +0200, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:
> >
> > > [...] define a special datastore for it, such as "error-messages".
> >
> > This seems worse than using, well, RFC 8040 yang-data. The proper
>
> Why it seems worse?

Because this is not part of the NMDA.
IMO, the yang-data defined in RFC 8040 has a clear purpose, and it
is sufficient for that purpose, which is a YANG representation of
an instance document (such as a protocol message or file).

YANG is useful for defining data structures that can be represented in
different formats, yet it is independent of any 1 format.

I am in favor if keeping the yang-data in RFC 8040 and not
creating a new version of it that is unconstrained.
There does not seem to be consensus on how to do this,
or even consensus that it is a good idea.

> > clear solution for RPCs and actions would be to enable the definition
> > of error details right in the rpc/action definition (input, output,
> > error).
>
> Agreed.
>

> > But something like yang-data seems to have uses in other contexts.
>
> So other datastores may be defined. I assume that YANG library data can be
> used
> independently, not just on a NC/RC server, pretty much along the lines of
> draft-
> lengyel-netmod-yang-instance-data.
>
> Lada

Andy