[resurrecting this thread]

Currently the zerotouch draft has a normative reference to this draft.
I will this week post an update to the zerotouch draft to resolve the
netconf list thread "a couple zerotouch-21 issues".   It would be easy
for me to also switch back to using rc:yang-data, but I won't do so if
this draft remains an active work-in-progress.

Please see below for more.

On Wed, 2018-05-02 at 11:36 +0200, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
>On Wed, May 02, 2018 at 11:25:06AM +0200, Martin Bjorklund wrote:
>>
>> The primary use case is not "generic RPC messages", but standalone
>> instance documents, error-info structures, etc.
>
> The proper solution for rpcs and actions is to define error
> information as part of the rpc/action. YANG 1.1 does not support
> this but this is where it should be fixed.

Agreed, but note that the subscribed-notifications draft (both the
published -12 and unpublished -13) are relying on being able to do
just this, and YANG-next is years away...

> Standalone instance documents (not tied to datastores) may have their
> use cases as well but it feels odd to create support for standalone
> instance documents as extensions and then to create even more
> extensions to support augmentation of these instance documents and
> whoever knows what comes next.

What feels "odd" about this?  Is it not using the extension statement
as it was intended?

> For short-term needs, there is yang-data defined in RFC 8040.

To be clear, the "short-term needs" are:

  a) zerotouch: to define a standalone instance document
  b) notification-messages: to define a new notification message
  c) subscribed-notifications: to define error-info structures

As I recall, this draft (not RFC 8040) is needed:

  - for (a), because rc:yang-data doesn't support a top-level
    "choice" statement spanning "container" statements.

  - for (b), in order to augment a base yang-data "message"
    structure with additional nodes.

  - AFAIAA, RFC 8040 is sufficient for (c)

Has anything changed?   I don't think that we can un-adopt this
draft with said dependencies, right?

Kent