On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 05:57:34PM +0000, Kent Watsen wrote:

> I don't understand talk about abandoning this draft.  There is no question
> that it is needed (e.g., anima vouch, zerotouch, tail-f's "structure"),
> and RFC 8040 is unsatisfactory because 1) it doesn't allow a top-level
> 'choice' between two containers and 2) it requires drafts to reference
> RFC 8040, even though the drafts may have nothing to do with RESTCONF.

Re 1: RFC 8040 says: "It MUST contain data definition statements that
result in exactly one container data node definition." So a choice may
actually work as long as the result is exactly one container data
node. OK, the wording in the RFC 8040 statement is not clear since
'result' and 'definition' do not line up (does 'result' mean the
toplevel data node instances that are possible? In this case,
'definition' would be misleading).

Re 2: It does not really matter whether you import the extension from
RFC 8040 or some other module. Why is depending on A better than
depending on B? The definition in RFC 8040 is already know by tools.

I view the yang-data definition of RFC 8040 as a temporary solution, a
proper solution should in my view be part of YANG 1.x.

Since NMDA essentially binds all data tree definitions to datastores,
the yang-data construct allows us to define data structures that are
specifically not bound to any datastore, i.e., data structures that by
design can't be operated on directly with NMDA NETCONF/RESTCONF.

Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>