I don't know whether this is a problem with NetSurf, RISC OS 4 or with
VRPC; any advice from you wise people would be appreciated.

On this Iyonix I have two Unicode fonts, the usual Cyberbit and an
Amharic font called Abyssinica. As expected, these behave perfectly,
and I can see a great may exotic characters, as few of which I can
actually understand.

Following the posting on The Iconbar about getting Unicode fonts
working on RISC OS 4.** (1) I tried to get this working on RISC OS
4.02 on VRPC SE on a Windows XP SP3 laptop. The advice on the Iconbar
posting needs a bit of tweaking for 4.02, but I seemed to be initially
successful. However, when NetSurf ran and looked at the new fonts, it
fell over when it came to Cyberbit, saying "The Unicode font manager
has failed to initialise", or words to that effect; as it failed to
run fully there is no logfile.

I then took Cyberbit out of Resources.Fonts, and ran NetSurf again.
This time it ran fully, and I was able to view pages in Amharic with
the Abyssinica font.

Any idea why this NetSurf doesn't like Cyberbit? Is it a memory
problem? (Cyberbit weighs in at, IIRC, 21M).

It's not a very big deal for me; when I have the Windows machine
running I tend to use Windows Firefox, as it's a great deal faster
than NetSurf on VRPC; on the Iyonix, NetSurf is a great deal quicker
than Windows Firefox, so I tend to go with horses for courses.
However, as I'm always curious about how things work, in a very
non-technical way, I wonder if there's an easy explanation, and also
wonder if I should put in a bug report, if it is indeed a NetSurf
problem.

(1) http://www.iconbar.com/articles/Getting_Unicode_Working_With_RISC_
OS_4_and_6/index1267.html

TIA,

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \  /      zfc Lu     \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
and      \/ __            __  \                              England.