On 21 Sep, Richard Porter wrote in message
    <892ccc4a54.r...@user.minijem.plus.com>:

> On 21 Sep 2014 Tony Moore  wrote:
>
> > On 21 Sep 2014, Richard Porter <r...@minijem.plus.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The problem is that Copy saves the file type of the file you are
> > > copying from to the clipboard, and Paste presents that file type to
> > > the application you are pasting into. NetSurf doesn't accept plain
> > > text pasted from a file that isn't type Text (fff). This restriction
> > > seems to be as unnecessary as it is frustrating.
>
> > As said above, here there is _no_ problem in pasting the URL from the
> > clipboard (RO 6.20, NS 2107, SE 4.69). Which application are you using
> > to view the NS HTML source?
>
> Edit by default. I don't normally use StrongEd. I had a look at the
> StrongHelp for StrongEd and eventually found ctrl-shift-C and
> ctrl-shift-V, but it doesn't give any explanation of what they do. I
> assume it means copy/paste forcing type to text.

No, Ctrl-Shift-C and Ctrl-Shift-V just copy and paste on the Global
Clipboard.

Thinking about it, I believe it's actually Edit's problem. It's certainly
not NetSurf because if you're talking about the URL bar in a browser window,
NetSurf relies on the OS (or something like IcnClipBrd) to handle cut and
paste for it.

When you do Ctrl-V in the field, whatever processes it (the OS on RISC OS
Select; IcnClipBrd everywhere else) sends the clipboard owner (Edit) a list
of types that it can handle in order of descending preference. For a
writable icon, that will only be text.  The owner should look down the list
and pick the best type (or least worst) that it can support, generally
flattening to plain text as a last resort if that option's available.

My guess is that StrongED does that properly. Edit, from what you say,
doesn't. It's broken, because it isn't supporting the Block Transfer
Protocol correctly.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/