On 19 Feb 2018 Jim Nagel  wrote:

> Is there a way around this?  Is there some setting I would need to
> make in Netsurf to define what I mean by "/" as root?  (Presumably
> there is such a setting in my ISP's software, for I am not being taken
> to the root of their drive!)

I have the same problem. I'm running WebJames with its root directory
as the directory containing my web sites. That means that "/" on the
local site takes me back to the top level and not the root of the site
I want.

Therefore all my links are relative if possible and links are explicit
i.e. the index file is /index.html rather than /. The only places
where relative links don't work are in error and acknowledgement pages
which could be invoked from different levels of the hierarchy. These
are addressed relative to the root i.e. /something and I put up with
them not working on the local sites.

The other exceptions are in mouseover stuff for drop-down menus where
they're not going to work in NetSurf anyway, and in data files for
scripts for the same reason. For html forms I use absolute addresses.

I'm afraid that's just a workaround rather than a solution. I don't
think your ISP's software comes into it unless your ISP is also your
hosting company. Normally your web site will be loaded into
public_html on the server and your ftp parameters should reflect this,
so public_html is your root directory. I suppose you could push the
site down a level to match your local setup and then have redirects
for any links that go to the top level by default but I haven't tried
this.

--
Richard Porter                      http://www.minijem.plus.com/
t: @westernexplorer                 mailto:r...@minijem.plus.com