Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 00:13:04 -0800
From: Al Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: adobe and DOS?  a tad off topic

Walter Scott wrote:
 > Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 21:45:00 -0500
 > >From: Walter Scott 
 > Subject: Re: adobe and DOS?  a tad off topic
 > 
 > Mike:
 > 
 >     I appreciate the information. It appears, though, that this 
 > software will not run in a purely DOS environment. That could be a 
 > limitation for those not having X Windows, OS/2, UNIX, etc. on
 > their computer. Anything you've run across that'll run in plain-old 
 > DOS?
 > 
 >                       Walter Scott

Well, I'm not Mike, but perhaps I could suggest that you have a look at the 
GhostScript package - which is free (under the GNU license, I believe). The 
documentation on the web site describes it as being capable of reading PDF files. I 
seem to recall reading somewhere in the information about GS that it is only capable 
of reading PDF files in the foreward direction - you can't scroll backwards with it, 
or something. I don't recall reading how compatible it is with PDF files created with 
later versions of the Acrobat package, though GS is still under active development. 
GS's primary function is to work with PostScript files. The GS package looks like a 
real beast to install - there appears to be a separate package for each operating 
system with the appropriate executable inside, and then several support packages that 
have to be downloaded and merged with the executable. I downloaded the whole thing 
about a year ago, plus some documentation from various "fan" pages, and filled u!
p five 1.44MB disks. Haven't got around to trying it yet.

The official GhostScript web site is at:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

For general info on PDF, visit:
http://www.pdfzone.com/
particularly:
http://www.pdfzone.com/products/software/

A couple of notes on the post I made yesterday...

  The Acroread viewer for DOS requires a VGA monitor, and I THINK it wants 16-color 
minimum (I can't recall right now) - the 1.4MB acroread.exe is a self-installing 
package that will refuse to install if it doesn't see what it wants. The version for 
Windows 3.x also insists on VGA, but once installed works great under EGA. I used to 
install this for people by popping in my color VGA card, installing the package, and 
then putting their EGA card back in (having to change the video drivers at each stage, 
of course). There's a lot of Windows 3.x software from idiot programmers that behaves 
this way, most notably the Navigator and Explorer browsers. EGA and "plain-vanilla" 
VGA both use a 16-color pallette, so I fail to see any valid reason for this behaviour 
by programmers - The software just has bigger text and images on EGA because of the 
fewer scan lines with that mode. WARNING: If you run the DOS version of AcroRead under 
EGA after installation, it just crashes the system.  

...If you don't mind me getting back on the topic of the mail list, NetTamer works 
quite well under EGA, and you can usually pick up an old EGA monitor and card for 
about ten bucks at any Ham Radio swap meet ;-)

Good Luck! 
Alan - http://members.xoom.com/kenoraradio/
       http://members.xoom.com/camp807/  


 > Quoting Mike Millen  to Walter Scott 
 >  and Possibly the Net-Tamer List
 > Group on 16-Mar-00 at 10:50 PST:
 > 
 > MM>   WS>This software will handle the latest version of PDF files?
 > MM>
 > MM> I've not done a survey, but it's handled every .pdf I've tried
 > MM> it with so far (and most of them have been less than a year old
 > MM> so they were likely to have been created with the latest version).
 > MM>
 > MM> HST, it seems to be thrown a bit by embedded images. It works
 > MM> perfectly with text.
 > MM>
 > MM>             [......]
 > MM>
 > MM>     [From XPDF documentation]
 > MM>
 > MM> Xpdf is a viewer for Portable Document Format (PDF) files.  (These are
 > MM> also sometimes also called 'Acrobat' files, from the name of Adobe's
 > MM> PDF software.)  Xpdf runs under the X Window System on UNIX, VMS, and
 > MM> OS/2. 
 
--  
 

______________________________________________________
Get your free web-based email at http://www.xoom.com
Birthday? Anniversary? Send FREE animated greeting
cards for any occasion at http://greetings.xoom.com




********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to