Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 07:29:35 -400
From: Tom Rutherford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please reply -- a check
On 27th Apr 00 at 7.52pm, Nettamer List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
NL>Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 16:11:54 -600 From: "Jerry J.
NL>Haumberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: Please reply -- a
NL>check
NL>On 2000-04-27 [EMAIL PROTECTED] <Tom Rutherford> said:
NL>>Resending this, per the suggestion of the software that
NL>caught it >on the bounce the first time. For some reason, it
NL>came back to me. >(Later... Found out that I'd used the wrong
NL>domain name. Sheesh. ><g>)
NL>It looks as though everything's restored, now, yes... I can't
NL>believe the bad timing of this -- just when I was sending
NL>some important e-mail relative to my used computer project
NL>for folks on the lists... Nobody likes delays in receiving
NL>things, and I'm especially anxious to get this
NL>computers-for-S&H project moving forward as quickly as
NL>possible! And tonight, I've good news for these folks on the
NL>"freebie" list... ;-)
Oh, I can believe it. Seems like when I'm looking for an important
message, at least half the time, something at CoreComm will take a dump,
and I'll get my mail at least delayed for a while. Been a few months
since they've lost anything, though, TTBOMK, so I really can't complain.
NL>>ARGH!!! Time for a nastygram to Candice Bergen. :-) Glad
NL>you're >back up, though. CoreComm had some problems last
NL>fall with their >mail servers. They were down for a day or
NL>two every couple of >weeks for a while. When they got the
NL>problem solved, the function >of Net-Tamer that I was
NL>accustomed to using that would delete old >mail and leave
NL>just-read mail on the server quit working. After a >few
NL>exchanges between Tech Support and myself, I finally just set
NL>>Net-Tamer up so that it grabs it all and kills it all.
NL>Apparently, >Net-Tamer doesn't properly exit the server with
NL>the other option. >The old server software was forgiving
NL>enough that when it lost >connection, it closed and did its
NL>thing.
NL>Luckily, my ISP is Net-Tamer friendly. As a matter of fact,
NL>when I mentioned Net-Tamer to them, they seemed familiar with
NL>the name -- and *nobody* ever snickered about my preference
NL>for DOS. It helps to send compliments to your ISP, if
NL>they're deserving, too. For example, after a number of
NL>months of continued improvement to my connection speed (which
NL>is now about 50 kbps *every* time!), I decided to send them a
NL>glowing note of appreciation to their support. They liked it
NL>well enough to post a copy of it for all to see -- so I doubt
NL>they'd want to "bump" me off too soon... ;-)
My ISP thinks that you can't get there from here. About half the
technical help there are idiots, but even they have some interesting
suggestions at times. But, they're pretty much OS-independent. They
run on UNIX boxes, AFAIK, and their tech support page actually has
procedures on how to set up under the Windows versions, OS/2 (Warp 4.0,
probably), and RedHat Linux 5.2, all gooey. Might even have procedures
for the Mac, too, but I can't say for sure. But, they list their DNS
addresses, etc., so it's easy enough to set up any OS, if you know what
you're doing. As for glowing reports, I haven't seen a whole lot to
cause me to get all gushy, but I am getting my $100/year's worth.
-- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI
Nobody can be just like me. Even I have trouble.
NTReader v0.24a(P)/Beta in conjunction with Net-Tamer
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************