Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 19:42:20 -0500
From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: software racisme?

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:21:12 -0500, Gontran Eiffel,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> I have posted this mail on the list toget your opinion onthat story:

> I used to subscribe to several lists via nettamer. The fact is that I got
> problems with two of them: SOS Windows@egroups (Yahoo) and
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] I can't write to the first one and on the second
> one,my mails (or replies to) are received as an empty mail with an attached
> file (containing the mail).

I made the discovery that egroups was no longer accessible for me
when using the built in email client provided with Arachne, a
graphics internet browser for DOS.  I think I tried it with Nettamer
too, but it just wouldn't work any more.  Egroups used to work just
fine with DOS internet apps before Yahoo took over. I was the
moderator of a small private mailing list which I had established for
my family members and relatives only.

> I changed to Outlook Express (sorry for the blasphem), but  I got an
> error: "HTML format is not allowed on that list, write in text format".

I think it is hard to change the default behavior of Outlook Express
so that your email client will retain the settings you want.  Outlook
Express seems to have a mind of its own and it does what it wants to
do.  It doesn't care what you want to do.

> -->if so, why nettamer mails are not correctly received.

Don't know.  I would guess that they have their web site set up
so as to discriminate against the minor league browsers and email
clients.  If you aren't using the latest and greatest bloatware
like almost everybody else does, then they figure that you just
aren't cool and they don't want to play with you.

> I was supposing a wrong feature in the windows-fr list server. And I have
> posted that idea and the rest to the list via Outlook Express in text
> format( I had to write it twice because windows collapsed down). My message
> has never been received and seem to have been censured.

I have found that at least one ISP will censure even some private email
messages.  I once sent a joke about Osama Bin Laden to a friend who
subscribes to the Cisnet ISP.  The ISP bounced the message back to me
and said they would not deliver it because they didn't like the "subject
line" of the message.  I changed the "subject" line and sent the message
again and it went through.  There was nothing in the message or in the
subject line containing any language that any normal person of good
manners could have considered as offensive.

> My opinion is:

> 1) nettamer better respect international standards than any M$ software does

Nettamer does respect international standards.  M$ software is highly
notorious for violating the standards.  M$ wants to impose their
proprietary psuedo-standards on everybody else.

> 2) they would like me to use a M$mailer.

Of course.  They are greedy for your money and they resort to very
devious means to try to force you into buying their stuff.  They
are doing everything they can to make the web incompatible with
anybody else's software.

> 3) they don't admit any realistic criticism on a M$ sofware.

Of course not.  M$ takes the position that they know what is best
for you.  They figure that if you aren't smart enough and not cool
enough to agree with them, then you are just a whiner and a
complainer who doesn't want to wise up and get with the program.
M$ hates people like you and me who want to be different and who
want to cling to the traditional internet standards.  We are not
viewed as realistic.  As far as M$ is concerned we are just
some counterproductive reactionaries.  In their eyes we are just
some real losers and they aren't going to pay any attention to us.
We are not the kind of people who count.

All the best,

Sam Heywood
P.S.  BTW, I should like to comment about your "subject line",
"software racisme".  Perhaps the closest English word for it is
"racism".  English speaking people will also make frequent use of
the Spanish term, "racismo".  Maybe they use the same term in
Italian.  I have never before seen the term "racisme".  Is this
French for "racism"?

-- This mail was written by user of The Arachne Browser - http://arachne.cz/



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to