On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 11:29 PM Prem Chandavarkar <prem....@gmail.com>
wrote:

we need to think about the spaces where engagement will happen: engagement
> that drives widespread reflection on who we are as a society and who we
> want to be, and leave the question of social models rather open.  How do we
> seed these spaces? How do we scale them? The question of where these spaces
> are is more important than what they will produce.

Prem, how good to hear from you. I wish you well for the upcoming year.

Concerning emergence, alas, it was the great idea of the 1990s and early
2000s, which a large number of networked political movements took as their
"principle of hope" (to quote Ernst Bloch). The keyword of that whole
period, for social movements, was "self-organization," which we hoped would
revitalize democracy by overcoming the structural devices of social
control. But strategic moves by large-scale actors proved to be enough to
dissipate emergent attempts to spark social reflection. This became
devastatingly clear at the moment of the global street protests against the
impending Iraq invasion in 2003, which were just brushed aside by the
American state. Later in 2005, during the self-organized protests against
the G8 in Geneagles, Scotland, a terrorist attack in the London underground
focused all media attention and made the protest movements simply vanish
from public awareness. Emergence had been "pre-empted," to use another of
the keywords from that time.

Nowadays I continue to find the theories of emergence valuable, as a better
description of how innovation takes place within and alongside complex
organizations. But it seems that emergent phenomena can be analyzed
statistically, and once their composition and properties are more or less
known, large-scale actors (state or corporate) can reshape the conditions
of emergence in order to reassert social control. It is precisely because I
lived through this experience that I have returned to asking questions
about the state and civil society. It seems clear that major changes of
course require the alignment of institutional priorities and the
coordinated exercise of both coercion and incentivization. Emergent
phenomena remain marginal, even insignificant, without access to the
modernist techniques of social steering. And so the great innovative
question, "How to dissolve state power?" has been set aside, in favor of
the dauntingly traditional one: "How to take state power?"

The current thread takes the US conditions as an example, but there could
be many others and everyone is free to chip in on the basis of their local
or regional situation. The whole world is at a turning point, due to the
consolidation of oligarchical control over the global political economy and
the contradictory need to replace fossil fuels, which have been the literal
power-source of capitalism over the last two centuries. Practically
everywhere in the developed world one sees the influence of a popular
nostalgia for twentieth-century industrial prosperity, with all its
attendant hierarchies and oppressions - a nostalgia instrumentalized by
neo-authoritarian political forces. These forces have been startlingly
effective over the last few years, but people are now mobilizing against
them.

The theory of emergence can help one to spot new social phenomena in statu
nascendi, and in that sense, your focus on where reflection and engagement
begin to happen is quite valuable. I agree, asking where social innovation
happens, and attending to exactly what is heppening there, is a necessary
starting point. However, emergence on its own appears useless as a
principle of hope. And so is any return to the strategies and
organizational forms of the 1930s. New social and ecological ideals are
effectively emerging. This discussion is about identifying them, and
simultaneously, looking ahead to find ways of implementing them in reality.
Concepts such as "vision" and "model" - or for that matter, "strategy" -
may appear constrictive by comparison to the molecular ferment of emergent
behavior, but if you want to see any implementation at scale, they remain
crucial. How to share a vision? How to embody a model? How to carry out a
strategy? I think the future hangs in the balance of those questions.

best, Brian
#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nett...@kein.org