You wrote:

> Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <[email protected]> writes:
> 
> > It seems it is being pushed forward and openssh even uses it by
> > default now.  There are implementations like [0] that nettle could
> > take advantage to use that curve, but what I'm worried about is
> > that the current interfaces to use this curve provide no agility.
> 
> I think you're more familier with its uses than I am. I'm thinking
> that it would be nice to have a 
> 
>   struct ecc_curve nettle_curve25519;
> 
> with the same operations (ecc_point_mul, etc), but maybe a very
> different implementation underneath.

If that is implementable, and sufficient to do ECDH, I think this would
be nice.  Is there any generic (EC)DH interface in nettle?  Maybe
having one would be useful, although maybe the EC math operations in
different curves is sufficient.

> Is that enough? It's not clear to me how people do signatures with
> curve25519, if that's plain ecdsa over a new curve, or something more
> or less different?

There are multiple options, see Ed25519 for a new signing system
EdDSA.  It has some nicer properties than ECDSA but it is also a bit
hardcoded to that curve.  http://ed25519.cr.yp.to/

I don't think it makes sense to add anything about signing in nettle for
new curves until there are practical use cases.  Things are changing
quickly in this space.

/Simon
_______________________________________________
nettle-bugs mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.lysator.liu.se/mailman/listinfo/nettle-bugs

Reply via email to