--On Monday, October 20, 2008 13:25:37 -0400 Dan Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
¦ >
¦ > So it's a bug in the Palm - I'll have to chase it up with the authors.
¦
¦ Probably; NM does retries for some commands that time out.  Whats the
¦ command that times out for you, the first ATZ E0 or something?

The first AT-anything times out, it needs to receive a 2nd to prompt a response (and then returns both responses).

With some delicate footwork I've been able to get it past that point, but it hits another one. It responds to AT+CREG? with +CREG: 1,1, but nm-gsm-device.c only accepts 0,1. I'm not an expert on these GSM commands, and a quick google only turned up this:
<http://doc.trolltech.com/qtopia4.2/modememulator-network.html>

From this I don't see why the modem shouldn't respond 1,1, or even 2,1. I
did a quick hex-edit patch to NetworkManager, changing 0,1 to 1,1, and finally it connected!

I'd put the initial timeout problem down to the Palm software, but is the 1,1 response actually incorrect, or should NM be more tolerant?

Rick