On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 10:39 +0100, Rick Jones wrote:
> --On Tuesday, October 21, 2008 09:50:35 +0100 Stuart Ward
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> ¦ The issue is that you have enabled unsolicited response codes.
> Several possable solutions
> ¦ 1) add +CREG=0 to your init string to disable.
> ¦ 2) perhaps nm should be able to parse the response string and match
> it to a regex expression rather than a fixed string. What is important
> is the the modem is registered to a network so a response of 1 or 5
> would be valid
>
> Thanks, that's beginning to make sense. Do I understand "unsolicited
> response string" to mean the modem can send a +CREG code at any time,
> not just in response to an AT query? If so then i can see why it's
> better not enabled.
>
> Inelegant though it is, i think NM does need a way to define custom
> init (& de-init?) strings externally. This has been the bane of

God no.  It's like adding text boxes for arbitrary command line
arguments for openvpn.  How are you supposed to know what goes in there?
Do you just google around and find something that some random user
reported worked for them and then try it?  Or if that doesn't work try
something else?  Then you've just wasted 4 hours for something that
should "Just Work".  We don't need to do this, because most of the
differences between hardware can be handled with quirks.  Adding an
arbitrary "enter some command strings" means you've completely lost.
Mobile broadband parts are a lot more standardized than
"Hayes-compatible" modems.

Dan