Hello Thomas,

Sorry for the late reply. Georg Müller
(https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/merge_requests/756

<https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/merge_requests/756>)
 also highlighted the approach of back porting the patch and rebuild Network
Manager.

Regarding the wpa_supplicant I was also not successful in configuring it in
such a way that WPS is not activated. If you come across a good idea, let me
know.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Florian Klein
smartdings

Weilimdorfer Straße 45
70825 Korntal-Münchingen
+49 159 06450487
i...@smartdings.com
www.smartdings.com

Check out our visualisation solution:
www.easyvis.io

> On 9. Apr 2021, at 11:48, Thomas Haller <thal...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 2021-04-09 at 10:41 +0200, Florian Klein wrote:
>> Hello Thomas,
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your reply. This is really helpful.
>>
>> In the meantime I found that this issue got fixed last month in
>> Network Manager:
>> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/merge_requests/756
>
> Oh, I was not aware of this.
>

>> But because we do not have a way to use the latest version it would
>> be wonderful to find a workaround.
>
> if you rebuild NetworkManager, then it should be simple to backport
> this patch. But indeed, it is undesirable to maintain your own
> package...
>
>> I tried to disable wps in the wpa_supplicant config [1] file but this
>> did not work. Is this the right way to adjust it? Is this even the
>> wpa_supplicant config used by network manager?
>
> I thought that might work. I tried, and even with debug logging
> wpa_supplicant does not log that it was reading the config file and it
> didn't complain about bogus entries in the configuration. But it should
> have used the file... I don't know.
>
> I'd suggest to run wpa_supplicant with debug logging (-ddd) and check
> the logs, if you didn't already do that.
>

> best,
> Thomas
>

>> Thanks a lot and best regards,
>>
>> Florian
>>
>> [1] Added to
>> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
>>
>> ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
>> wps_disabled=1
>> update_config=1
>> country=DE

>>> Hi Florian,
>>>

>>> in another email you said that you are using Version 1.14.6, from
>>> Raspian10. That's is quite an old version and it might be
>>> interesting
>>> to try a recent version. But in practice, I don't think your
>>> question
>>> will be solved by that, so OK.
>>>
>>> NetworkManager's "wifi.mode ap" is something simple that is mainly
>>> aimed for simple setups. The reason is that if you run a "serious"
>>> access point, you might want to configure countless parameters
>>> related
>>> to Wi-Fi, but then also want more control over the DHCP and DNS
>>> server.
>>> NetworkManager does that all, but the configuration options are not
>>> that extended. So, consider whether NetworkManager is the right
>>> choice
>>> here. But we really want NetworkManager to be stellar also in such
>>> cases, so it's not that we say: "such usecase is not supported".
>>> But:
>>> "maybe it doesn't work that well yet, but we'd hope to improve on
>>> that
>>> (e.g. by adding new configuration options and fix issues in certain
>>> use-cases)".
>>>

>>> OK, more to your actual question...
>>>

>>> NetworkManager uses wpa_supplicant's AP mode. wpa_supplicant is the
>>> sibling of hostapd, and both are highly configurable. Your problem
>>> indeed seems to be related to WPS. I am not familiar with this, so
>>> don't know the solution. I would think you first should understand
>>> how
>>> to configure this in wpa_supplicant (or hostapd). And then, in a
>>> second
>>> step, how to bring NetworkManager to get that right.
>>>
>>> What NetworkManager does, is relatively simple. Enable
>>> `level=TRACE`
>>> logging (see [1]), then NetworkManager will log the options that it
>>> sets in supplicant, like
>>>
>>>   Config: added 'mode' value '2'
>>>
>>> ('2' means AP mode). NetworkManager configures wpa_supplicant via
>>> the
>>> D-Bus API.
>>>

>>> I think there is a "wps_disabled" option in wpa_supplicant.conf.
>>> It's
>>> not clear whether "wps_disabled" is really the right solution to
>>> your
>>> problem. But if it is, you might be able to set that in