Marc Haber <mh+networkmanager-l...@zugschlus.de> writes:

> At least with 1&1 DSL in Germany (via Versatel), the Fritzbox itself
> gets an IP address from an entirely different prefix than the prefix
> that is eventually delegated for assignment to internal networks.

Yes, we do that as well. The CPE gets an IA_NA address, dynamically
assigned per session. The reasoning was that we wanted the CPE to have a
global source address for the traffic it generates on its own, and we
didn't want to "steal" any part of the users IA_PD.

But 10 years later I'm not convinced that this was necessary.

> Unfortunately, it is pretty hard in Germany to get a dedicated VDSL
> modem so that you can do the PPPoE yourself, so I can't comment about
> the exchanges that go on on the wire.

You can't use any VDSL modem, or bridge the one you have?

Bjørn