On Saturday 28 October 2006 08:15, stuart bell wrote:
> Hi,
> I'll probably upset the Mandy purists but PCLinuxOS is a very good
> development of Mandriva. It works well on my old laptop and has a
> tremendous automatic downloader/installer that does away with all the
> newbie problems.

I have PCLinuxOS on my laptop, dual booting with Windows XP. It's the latest
version of PCLinuxOs. On my desktop PC I have Mandriva 2007. I had been
running Mandrake/Mandriva since 8.xx but I had problems on both computers
with 2006 so I tried PCLinuxOS. I've been happy using it. My only problem is
that some software that I'd like to try is sometimes not available. I look at
several Linux magazines and they often mention some software that looks
interesting but I often can't find it on PCLinux Repositories and you are
discouraged from installing software from other sources. You can request that
the package be made available if you'd like but I've never done that. With
Mandriva, the package is often already available to download through URPMI.

PCLinuxOS uses Synaptic to download software. I'm using PCLinuxOS now so I
can't check this but I think Synaptic or some variation is available for
Mandriva.

Incidentally, the problems I had on my desktop PC are gone now that I've
installed 2007.

Eric Jackson