Maddow: "The Truth About the Lies About ACORN"

'The more I look into the misleading nature of the charges ... the 
angrier I get!' --- Welcome aboard, Rachel!

New academic report details media lies, myths, media misinformation 
about voter registration, community group...

http://www.bradblog.com/?p=7435

I was delighted (an understatement) to see Rachel Maddow on Thursday 
night jump into coverage of ACORN --- finally --- by highlighting so 
much of what we've been reporting here, sometimes completely alone, 
for years!

She details the facts about the GOP's long-waged phony war against 
the right's "most reliable trumped-up boogeyman" (using language akin 
to that in my recent article in the UK's Guardian on the recent 
rightwing
hit job on ACORN and the Democrats' pathetic capitulation to it). 
Maddow goes on to note the corporate mainstream media's gullibility 
in "reporting" the wingnuts' out-and-out lies about the group while 
failing, miserably, for years, to note the truth.

The truth, of course, is that ACORN is responsible for registering 
millions of legal low and middle-income citizens (read: 
Democratic-leaning, as the GOP sees them) to vote. The truth is that 
when they find potentially fraudulent voter registration forms 
submitted by a handful of their 13,000 employees, it is they who 
alert authorities about the fraud, and turn both the forms (as 
required by law), and the workers who defrauded them in to officials 
so they can be investigated. The truth is that there is not a single 
recorded instance of voter fraud committed by any illegally 
registered voters via ACORN. Not one.

"The more that I look into the misleading nature of the charges 
against ACORN," Maddow notes, "not just from people from whom I 
expect misleading charges, but from reporters and people in the 
mainstream media who ought to know better, the angrier I get. ... And 
I think we're going to cover the lies about ACORN over a number of 
shows in the upcoming days." THANK YOU RACHEL!!!

Her report follows on a new study, "Manipulating the Public Agenda: 
Why ACORN Was in the News, and
What the News Got Wrong," just out from Occidental College and the 
University of Northern Iowa, detailing,
as she describes it, "the embarrassing extent to which the media has 
gotten the ACORN story really really wrong." (I've yet to read the 
report, but am looking forward to it!)

I can't recommend this video enough. And, as Maddow promises to 
continue her coverage on this story, let's hope she'll take a serious 
look at snake-oil salesman Thor Hearne, his direct connections to 
Karl Rove and the Bush White House, and the unconscionable astroturf 
group, American Center for Voting Rights (ACVR), which The BRAD BLOG 
outed years ago and has been covering ever since. ACVR, of course, 
was the phony tax-exempt "non-partisan" organization set up after the 
2004 election to lead the disinformation campaign against ACORN and 
disenfranchise legal voters by issuing propaganda meant to fool 
Americans into instituting unconstitutional photo ID requirements at 
the polling place, despite the fact that some 20-30 million legal 
U.S. voters --- largely Democratic-leaning voters --- are likely to 
be disenfranchised in the process!

Yes, Rachel, "this story gets [us] mad" too! Has for years! Please 
give me a shout if I can help. Got some swell stuff I've never 
reported on this that I'd be happy to share with you! Would be 
delighted to!



CORRECTION: Thanks to alert reader "TM," we had originally noted that 
ACVR was formed after the 2000 election. We should have said after 
the 2004 election, when Hearne first appeared to give testimony to 
then-Rep. Bob Ney's House Administrative committee, as the only 
supposed "voting rights" group called to testify in the only 
Congressional hearing convened following the election, to supposedly 
discuss its many problems. Hearne represented himself only as a 
"long-time voting rights advocate" at the hearing, failing to note to 
the committee, or for the record, that he had been the national 
general counsel for Bush/Cheney '04 Inc. The "non-partisan" ACVR was 
formed by Hearne and former RNC communications director Jim Dyke, who 
would later go on to work in Dick Cheney's office, and now represents 
various Republican candidates. Other than that, they were completely 
non-partisan. Oh, and they never disclosed whom they received nearly 
$1 million dollars from when they initially started up. See 
BradBlog.com/ACVR for much more in our years-long coverage of these 
anti-democracy bamboozlers.
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to Mark Crispin Miller's 
"News From Underground" newsgroup.

To unsubscribe, send a blank email to 
[email protected] OR go to 
http://groups.google.com/group/newsfromunderground and click on the 
"Unsubscribe or change membership" link in the yellow bar at the top of the 
page, then click the "Unsubscribe" button on the next page. 

For more News From Underground, visit http://markcrispinmiller.com
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to