From: "Julia Fallon" <juliacfal...@gmail.com>
Date: May 16, 2017 7:41 AM
Subject: [mySociety-community] www.citizns.eu New service launched to help
British expats participate in General Election 2017
To: "mysociety-community" <mysociety-commun...@mysociety.org>

Hi there, I want to tell you about a new website that uses my society data
to help british expats connect with their representatives & take part in
the General Election.

As a British citizen living in the Netherlands I have been frustrated with
feeling disconnected with elected MPs, those who represent values I share
and those who care about the same issues that I do.  Triggering Article 50
on 29th March didn’t just start the Brexit process, it also kicked started
a personal project to help me, and my friends and their friends engage
better with their elected representatives in the run up to the General
Election, throughout the Brexit negotiation period and beyond.

Working with a small team we have used data from mysociety (mapit) and the
democracy club, and a few extra bits we have captured ourselves, and
created an online resource <http://citizns.eu> to help British citizens
living overseas connect with their representatives.  At citizens.eu you can;

   -

   Use your UK postcode to find information about your constituency and the
   candidates standing in the General Election
   -

   Find information about getting your paperwork in order so that you can
   take part and vote in the General Election
   -

   Learn about all the ways you can take part - from voting, to sharing on
   social media to starting a conversation with your neighbour
   -

   Read a blog filled with opinion, useful information and inspiring
   articles written by British citizens living overseas

We have an opportunity to help engage overseas voters and have a positive
impact on the number of registered overseas voters.  Thanks to a voter
registration drive in 2016 the number of registered overseas voters grew by
144% from 2015.  However that number is still incredibly low - from an
estimated 5.5 million UK citizens living outside of the UK and possibly
eligible to vote, only 263,903 were registered for the 2016 EU referendum.

We're adding new information to the constituency pages each week - the
referendum result published last week, this week we are matching that with
how that constituency MP vote in the Brexit bill. We're really now looking
for anyone who can help us reaching out to a wider audience, but you can
also support us by;

   -

   Sharing our website <http://citizns.eu> with you registered members,
   mailing lists and  on your website
   -

   Talking about our resources on your social media channels
   -

   Contributing a blog about data, elections, your story, why taking part
   is important ... send me your idea and we can see how it works
   -

   Tell us what else you would like to see published

Thanks for taking the time to read to the end!

Julia
@citiznsEU <https://twitter.com/citiznsEU>

mysociety.org/group/mysociety-community/.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/
mysociety.org/d/msgid/mysociety-community/8c063061-
6f6f-4296-8bc1-4d541616ea0b%40mysociety.org
<https://groups.google.com/a/mysociety.org/d/msgid/mysociety-community/8c063061-6f6f-4296-8bc1-4d541616ea0b%40mysociety.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.

――
View topic http://groups.dowire.org/r/topic/15G3BF5oSweKAmIrI8lrw6