What do my EU folks think of this?

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Dave Farber <far...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jun 8, 2018, 4:33 PM
Subject: [IP] Lauren's Blog: "Why We May Have to Cut Europe Off from the
Internet"
To: ip <i...@listbox.com>

Begin forwarded message:

*From:* Lauren Weinstein <lau...@vortex.com>
*Date:* June 8, 2018 at 3:23:17 PM EDT
*To:* nnsq...@nnsquad.org
*Subject:* *[ NNSquad ] Lauren's Blog: "Why We May Have to Cut Europe Off
from the Internet"*

Why We May Have to Cut Europe Off from the Internet

https://lauren.vortex.com/2018/06/08/why-we-may-have-to-cut-europe-off-from-the-internet

It's not a joke. It's no hyperbole. If the European Union continues its
current course, the rest of the world may well have to consider how to
effectively "cut off" Europe from the rest of the Internet -- to create
an "Island Europe" in an Internet communications context.

For those of us involved with the Net since its early origins, the
specter of network fragmentation has long been an outcome that we've
sorely hoped to avoid. But continuing EU actions could create an
environment where mechanisms to tightly limit Europe's interactions with
the rest of the global Internet may be necessary -- not imposed with
pleasure, not with vindictiveness, but for the protection of free speech
around the rest of the planet.

The EU will later this month be voting on a nightmarish copyright
control scheme that would impose requirements for real-time "copyright
filtering" of virtually all content uploaded to major and many minor
Internet sites, with no protections against trolling, and the certainty
of inappropriately blocking vast quantities of public domain and other
materials, with no real protections against errors and no effective
avenues for appeals. Please see:

  "On June 20, an EU committee will vote on an apocalyptically stupid,
  internet-destroying copyright proposal that'll censor everything from
  Tinder profiles to Wikipedia"
  ( https://boingboing.net/2018/06/07/thanks-axel-voss.html ).

Even if this specific horrific proposal is voted down, it's important to
review how we came to this juncture, as the EU has increasingly
accelerated its program to become the Internet's global censorship czar,
in ways that even countries like China and Russia haven't attempted to
date.

As far back as 2012 and earlier, in "The 'Right to Be Forgotten': A
Threat We Dare Not Forget"
( https://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000938.html ), I warned of the
insidious nature of content censorship schemes flowing forth from
Europe, and I've consistently warned that -- like the proverbial camel's
nose under the tent -- Europe would never be satisfied with any
concessions offered by Internet firms.

Time has borne out my predictions. In ensuing years, the EU has expanded
its demands until now it considers itself in key respects to be the
global arbiter of what should or should not be seen by Internet users
around the world.

Like other of civilization's information control tyrants, a taste of
censorship powers by the EU has inevitably led to utter censorship
gluttony, and the sense that "we know best what those stupid little
people should be allowed to see" is as old as human history, long
predating modern communications systems.

European citizens are of course free to elect whatever sorts of
governments that they choose. If that choice is for information control
tyrants whose pleasure is to victimize their own citizens, so be it.

But if Europe continues to insist that its tyranny of censorship and
information control must be honored by the rest of the world, then the
rest of the world will be reluctantly forced to treat Europe as an
Internet pariah, and use all possible technical means to isolate Europe
in manners that best protect everyone else's freedom of Internet speech.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein (lau...@vortex.com): https://www.vortex.com/lauren
Lauren's Blog: https://lauren.vortex.com
Founder: Network Neutrality Squad: https://www.nnsquad.org
        PRIVACY Forum: https://www.vortex.com/privacy-info
Co-Founder: People For Internet Responsibility:
https://www.pfir.org/pfir-info
Google+: https://google.com/+LaurenWeinstein
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800

――