On Mon, Jan 11, 1999 at 07:41:05AM -0800, Petter Gustad wrote:

> This might be a faq or something not related to newsx, but lately I've
> been getting a lot of error messages on the form:
>
> newsx: article rejected: got "441 Can't set system "X-Trace" header"
> reading /var/spool/news/articles/sci/electronics/design/39100
>
> What are they, what's the purpose of X-Trace, why does newsx complain
> about them? What can I do to fix the problem?

X-Trace is a header inserted by the news server an article is POSTed
on.  It's intended to help newsadmins track down abusers, and thus
no modern INN will accept a POST with X-Trace already set.

You're seeing this error because your personal news server is inserting
this header, and then newsx is attempting to POST the same article to
your ISP's news server.  The solution is to strip the X-Trace headers
out of your posts before they get to the ISP.  There's probably a better
way to do it, but I just hacked inn/nnrpd/post.c and commented out the
couple of lines where X-Trace is set (should be the second occurrence of
the string 'X-Trace' in the file.)  Note that you'll also need to remove
X-Complaints-To.

--
Brian Naylor  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.sackheads.org/~bnaylor/
"Maybe now I can buy a lighthouse and set up my Secret Lab...Hmmmm..."