Oops, I overlooked that the call was from May 12, which would be in the window
for a spring migrant in NY, though the call sounds doesn’t sound like it is
from a bird in flight.

Bill E

From: Bill Evans
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:38 AM
To: Benjamin Van Doren ; Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes
Cc: NFC-L
Subject: Re: [nfc-l] Red-headed Woodpecker?

My first impression was a scream from a girl on a swing set. I then quickly
came around to agreeing with Ben’s first impression and Chris. Pretty early for
migrant RHWO though, as based on my experience their southbound migration in NY
is the latter half of September and early October – perhaps it’s a wandering
bird.

The only caveat on the ID comes up for me when I went back to listen to the
RHWO calls on the Flight Call Guide. I noticed a similarity with Virginia Rail
“McGreer” type calls, though RHWO sounds lower-pitched. But the question arises
whether we can 100% rule out a rail vocalization?

Bill E