Chris -

Unfortunately, that salt marsh is close to relatively dense suburban areas,
with houses as close as 0.5 km (right across the harbor channel) and a golf
course directly adjacent to it. I am not that surprised that a sound like
this drifted across the water, although it is better recorded than I would
expect even for that distance.

Benjamin

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/nfc-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html