So, in fact, both ganesha and samba can have the same file open at the same time (just as any 2 processes can). This will, of course, cause issues if both are modifying the same sections of the file. This is why file locking was invented. NFSv3 (via NLM) and NFSv4 (built in) have locking modes that are compatible with SMB locking, so as long as the clients use those, it "should" work fine. Of course, there's going to be issues, since this isn't tested well (or maybe at all). I have some idea that the Gluster team at one point tested this; they support exporting Gluster from both ganesha and samba, although I don't believe they support exporting the same FS at the same time.

So the short answer is that it theoretically can work, and it actually may work, but it likely won't, without some work.

Daniel