Hi,

from a "stratospheric" point of view, I see a potentially big issue ahead for such a feature : FSAL has been designed to be quite close to POSIX behavior, CIFS follows the Microsoft File System semantics, which is pretty different from POSIX. My experience with 9p integration in Ganesha shows some issues in POSIX corner cases (like "delete on close" situations), I can't imagine what integrating a CIFS support would mean. Years ago, Tom Tapley came to bake-a-thon (this was a few months after he joined Microsoft Research) and he talked about issues met by Microsoft to implement a NFSv4 support, because of Microsoft semantics. He found many, but was quite optimistic. Current state : Windows has no NFS support and code developed at CITI (e.g. NFSv4 clients for Windos) were not pushed to Windows. Microsoft is not POSIX and POSIX is not Microsoft. They live in two very different worlds, and it's probably better so ;-)

    Regards

        Philippe