Hi Patrick,

One additional idea might be to use the --token option, and say that
you only want to consider alphanumerics as your tokens (which is what
you will count).

For example...

marengo(129): cat test
my friends, i have news!!!!!!!!
i like .... ngrams!!!!

Now without any token list, stop list, etc...

marengo(130): count.pl outa test

marengo(131): cat outa
24
!<>!<>10 11 12
.<>.<>3 4 4
news<>!<>1 1 12
have<>news<>1 1 1
.<>ngrams<>1 4 1
!<>i<>1 11 2
,<>i<>1 1 2
i<>have<>1 2 1
ngrams<>!<>1 1 12
like<>.<>1 1 4
friends<>,<>1 1 1
i<>like<>1 2 1
my<>friends<>1 1 1

Now I define a token file...

marengo(132): cat token.txt
/\w+/

marengo(133): count.pl out test --token token.txt

marengo(134): cat out
7
i<>have<>1 2 1
news<>i<>1 1 2
have<>news<>1 1 1
like<>ngrams<>1 1 1
i<>like<>1 2 1
friends<>i<>1 1 2
my<>friends<>1 1 1

Note that we only have alphanumerics...that might be the simplest
thing to try fist...

Hope this helps...
Ted