3/4" total travel sounds as tight as I would ever want a chain. If you hear
buzzing you are definitely too tight! I kept mine around 7/8" I believe;
it's been a while since I've needed to do a chain tension.

Agreed on the 17T for using your gears.I loved the change, even though my
commute at the time was hill-heavy.