I'm curious, why did you hotwire the switch instead of push-starting the
motorcycle?  When my ignition switch went bad, I avoided being stranded by
getting the bike moving, putting it in first gear, and releasing the
clutch.  Sometimes it didn't work on the first try, but it was definitely
easier than hotwiring the bike.