Jrhoyt,
I've push started my bike before when I had a weak battery. I try to avoid
it because Houston is flat, hot, and full of traffic. So no hill to push
down to assist, pushing a 400lb bike fast enough to start on a 95F day with
100% humidity gets old pretty quick, and there are so many cars that it's
hard to find a space to perform such a maneuver without getting ran over,
even in a parking lot. Not to mention no matter how awesome your bike is,
nobody looks cool push starting one ;)

-Kyle