Run the driveshaft up to the steering head then down to the front wheel

From: nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com
[mailto:nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Kyle Munz
Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2017 6:55 PM
To: nighthawk_lovers@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: 1985 Nighthawk 750S Electrical Conversion

Why stop at two drive shafts? You could run two rear wheels side by side like
the Dodge Tomahawk.

-Kyle

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 11:59 PM, Matt Awesome
<mattsawesomest...@gmail.com<mailto:mattsawesomest...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Well it's snowing and blowing out so I haven't been around to working on the
bike, since there's no rush until spring.
... which had me thinking some stupid thoughts. So for shits and giggles and
the intellectual exercise of it all, feel free to talk me into/out of them...
Suppose I want do have a dual-driveshaft bike. I've never seen one. It would be
unique. It's stupid, I'll add 80lbs and lose space and weight for batteries, to
gain horsepower I don't need and won't use, but, whatever. Suppose I steal the
rear tire and driveshaft from a donor bike, so parts-wise I have enough to do
it. What then? Is it even possible? What would it entail?
It's the only part of the bike I haven't disassembled so I'm not sure what goes
on in there.
I'll kick things off:
1 - The shaft would have to rotate in the opposite direction. That's easy,
since it'll be dual-electric motor.
2 - However the driveshaft engages with the rear tire is obviously on the left
side, so to make it work, I would have to flip it upside down for the left side.
3 - I presume the drum brake is on the left side there somewhere? So I'd lose a
drum brake (I'd have to either add a disc or use regen braking to have
highway-legal 2 braking systems).
4 - The rear swingarm would have to have the right beam cut off and the new
hollow thingy with the driveshaft welded in its place. No problem, I have a
welder.
Talk me out of/into this. What are the obstacles I'd need to overcome?
 - Is there liquid lube that would sit in the wrong spot if upside down?
 - Would it be infeasible/impossible to mount the wheel gear assembly on the
opposite side? How mirrored is the hub?
In the meantime I've been building a battery tester/charger I'll share soon and
I've picked up a total of, oh, 300 lbs of lithium batteries so far. More than
I'll use on the bike I think.

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH
IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL,
AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAWS. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone, and delete the
original message immediately. Thank you.