> and the one left is retiring next month.  [...] I can't see anyone else
working on my bike.

He says he's retiring, and then what?

Sit around doing nothing all day?

He's retiring from having to go to work 40 hours a week. He's retiring from
*having* to fix stuff.

He'll be bored, and, retirement never gives you as much money as you'd
hoped. I think chances are pretty good he'd be happy to tinker around on
your bike for some spending money once in a while, especially since he's
the kind of guy he seems to be.

Just my two cents. Ask him if he's interested in occasional work, or, wait
a few months and ask how bored he is.