Thanks Matt, I was thinking about that just this morning. I might go ahead
and repair it that way, install, and swap out the new cover later. Also, I
learned an important lesson about paying attention to what you read in the
manual. The 14-17 foot pound torque spec was for the "cylinder head"
screws. Not the cover screws, the manual only states to tighten the cover
screws and gives no specific torque spec. So i really over did it. Hard
lesson, but I guess that's how you learn, right. Thanks again